Posts Tagged ‘NDTV Hindu’

NDTV eyes investors to pull out MetroNation Chennai

March 2, 2011

NDTV Ltd. has decided to get strategic investors for its joint venture company, MetroNation Chennai Television Limited. The company which was launched in 2009, operates a news cum infotainment channel and has been making losses recently.

NDTV has a 51 per cent share while Kasturi and Sons (Hindu Group) the remaining 49 per cent in the company. The company has incurred losses amounting to Rs. 275.1 million.

NDTV Group chief executive officer KVL Narayan Rao confirmed that NDTV is considering getting strategic investment in MetroNation Chennai Television. He also added that they would be increasing the Tamil content in the channel.

The company has a total of Rs. 208.7 million in investment, loans and reaceivables. This was carried off by NDTV at book values since the management expects to be able to realise these assets in full.

The amount of capital and its possible investor however are yet unknown as Rao refused from revealing any knowledge regarding the same.

NDTV and The Hindu to launch ‘NDTV Hindu’ on May 16

May 21, 2009

NDTV Ltd and The Hindu have come together to launch Chennai-centric English news channel, called NDTV Hindu, which goes live from May 16. The channel will cover breaking news and current affairs, as well as user-friendly information.

Announcing the launch of the channel, Dr. Prannoy Roy, chairman, NDTV Ltd, said, “We firmly believe that the future of news is in going local. The Hindu Group with its impeccable credentials has been a household name for generations in Chennai and this partnership will help NDTV Hindu to capitalise on the brand strengths and journalistic values of both the media houses.” 

N Ram, editor-In-chief, The Hindu, said, “Though there are a few Indian language channels that exist for local news, yet there is no English channel catering exclusively to this vibrant city. With NDTV’s strong television broadcasting and editorial capabilities, NDTV Hindu will bring out the true flavor of the city through its high-end content.”

N Murali, managing director, The Hindu, added, “With its non-stop programming across genres, catering to a young urban India, NDTV Hindu aims to change the perspective of every Chennaite about their city, by the minute.”

Rajiv Lulla, managing director and CEO, NDTV Hindu, added, “This channel is a winning combination of editorial excellence and superior programming, targeted at the young. We are sure we will be able to capture the pulse of the city and give the viewers what they have been missing so far.”

Both the partners, Hindu and NDTV believe that city-centric television is the future and are in the relationship for a long term. The channel had a soft launch on May 5 and has signed up with many multi-system operators, including SCV and Hathway Cable and Datacom.

As far as the content is concerned, the channel will focus on both news and features. It will have seven-and-a-half hours of hard news; the remaining time would be devoted to city-centric features, including shows based on audience interaction, fitness, food, shopping, movies, technology, citizen journalism and others. 

Some of the feature programmes on the channel are: I Spy With My Digital Eye, Worked Out Victim, Unclocking Life and Big Pic. The channel will will invite students from Chennai schools for I Spy with My Digital Eye weekly show, where they will be taught how to make films, all caught on camera.

Jennifer Arul, managing editor/COO, NDTV Hindu, on Night Vision show will round up the day’s happenings in and around the city and national news of importance. Coinciding with the counting day, viewers can watch Jennifer on the election special Night Vision with TV journalist Sashi Kumar.

Meanwhile, MetroNation Delhi has stopped live broadcasts and a revamped version of the channel is expected to be launched by the end of July. The Delhi-based channel is presently relying on old shows, along with news tickers.